EXPLORING THE CHARMING
ENGLISH VILLAGE OF CUCKFIELD
IN THE MIDSUSSEX DISTRICT
OF WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND:
& KARLSTADT BAVARIA
on the southern slopes of the Weald.
It lies 34 miles (55 km) south of London,
13 miles (21 km) north of Brighton,
and 31 miles (50 km) east northeast of the county town of Chichester.
Nearby towns include Haywards Heath to the southeast
and Burgess Hill to the south.
It is surrounded on the other sides by the parish of Ansty and Staplefield
formerly known as Cuckfield Rural.
Before the modern local government system
came into operation in the late 19th century
The civil parish covers an area of 431.58 ha (1066 acres),
and had a population of 3,266 persons in the 2001 census,
increasing to 3,500 at the 2011 Census.
The origin of the name, Cuckfield (earlier spelled Kukefeld, Cucufeld, and Cucufelda),
is debated but it is generally associated with the cuckoo which is the village emblem.
The village grew as a market town;
since it lay on the turnpike.
In 1820, 50 coaches a day were passing through;
but when the railway to Brighton was to be constructed in the 1840s,
local landowners objected to its projected route:
it was therefore built through neighbouring Haywards Heath instead.
The village lost its importance as a result.
Today the A272 road also bypasses the village centre.
and was greatly enlarged in 1934 under a County Review Order
Cuckfield Rural District (including the parish of Lindfield)
and Haywards Heath Urban District.
The Parish Council, Cuckfield Museum and village library reside within the Queen’s Hall,
has Norman foundations, although the building itself is 13th century.
as well as the pulpit and the ceiling’s painting
were designed by Charles Eamer Kempe (1837–1907).
found the first known iguanodon fossils among many others
close to Cuckfield at Whitemans Green,
where a monument to him now stands though the quarry
He also features in the town’s museum.
Other attractions include the Elizabethan stately home, Cuckfield Park,
to the west of the village.
Cuckfield Park is reputedly haunted by its former resident Anne Pritchard Sergison,
who was known to the locals as ‘Wicked Dame Sergison’,
and who died in 1748.
Bonfire Night celebrations are held here.
Another Elizabethan house, Ockenden Manor,
is a hotel and restaurant which has had
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply.
MUSTER GREEN PARK,
Okay, this is not Cuckfield, YET, but the autumnal beauty is very inviting.
CUCKFIELD VILLAGE CENTRE
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH,